family picture

family picture

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

One last post

I figure that I should get in one last post before Sara completely takes over. It's hard to believe that in just a few days we will be on a plane to bring our daughter home. I have said throughout this adoption process that I never really felt like it would actually happen. It started to seem like actually being able to raise a child was just too good to be true for us. It was always just out of reach - like a steak dangling in front of a hungry dog. Something we wanted so much, but just couldn't quite get. After our month long Embassy escapade it felt even more like that. But here we are with just a few more days until we board a plane and, this time, come back parents. I will admit that I don't think it will fully sink in until I step on the Ethiopian Airlines flight in D.C..
For now there's still so much to do, so many items on my excel spreadsheet checklist still to be marked off...but every now and then, I am hit by waves of humility, awe and joy. I am humbled that our Heavenly Father has been so gracious (adj. \'gra shes: giving a gift that is not deserved) as to bless us with what we, at many times, did not think was possible. His faithfulness towards us is something that makes me marvel. We have not always acted so toward God. We've doubted, been angry, hurt, pleaded and given God the silent treatment. But God...His faithfulness has never wavered. He has carried us through EVERY single day of the last 3 1/2 years and has always gently guided us through the muck. His faithfulness has continued through to the very end. I would say today more than ever, but that's bad theology; I just can see it more now than before. I realize now that it was not a steak dangling in front of a hungry dog, though that's how we often acted. It was an Author writing a beautiful story, and I just wasn't able to skip to the back page and read the end. Now we're on that last page, and the story was so good I'd like to read it again...well, after a few years that is. Although, it's really just the last page of book one...book two is to come, in just a few days, and I CAN'T wait to see what God has in store!

-amory

2 comments:

  1. Love it! God is SO faithful to us and I love to hear His Story's in the lives of us 'ordinary' people.

    Blessings as you both make this trip to bring home your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, this is just the first page. This novel has a sequel--raising Aerin in the fear and admonition of the Lord. Blessings to you and Brian in the process. You know Mom and I are always here.
    Love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete