family picture

family picture

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Garage Sale



When I was sorting items late Friday night, I was not certain this was a good idea. When I was crawling out of bed at 5:30 in the morning , I was not certain this was a good idea. When I was carrying 50 pound weights and furniture out of the garage in the low light of the morning, I was not certain this was a good idea. But, when I saw a man walking up the drive with a flashlight in hand at least 30 minutes before we were supposed to start, I changed my mind.

By 7 a.m. we were out of the red and into the black. The rest of the day was a whirlwind as people flooded our garage sale. We sold furniture, and toys, and clothes, and sporting goods, and kitchenware, and cookies, and cupcakes, and even some chocolate bread. We handed out cards with information to our blog - so many in fact that we had to go print off more half way through the day. We made money, and most importantly, we had fun.

Of course, this day could not have happened without the help of numerous people. We had Shelley who might have worked harder than any of us, coming to our house on Friday to allow people to bring stuff before we got off work, making signs the night before, and selling, selling, selling all day long. We had Lisa who made cookies and cupcakes and the time fly. We had Marilyn bake chocolate bread, which she brought later than I care to remember. We had over 20 families give us all kinds of things to sell. We had people show up to buy those items who told us they were adopted or had adopted or supported adopting.

Needless to say we are so thankful for each and everyone of you. The grand total, which I have held out on to make you read the rest of my ramblings, was amazing. The total amount of profit, which includes subtracting the cost of the newspaper ad, the garage sale license, and the posterboard for signs, was just over $800. And, somehow I thought this was not going to be a good idea? As Amory keeps saying, sometimes you have to just step out on faith and let God show you how awesome he is. That is exactly what happened on Saturday.
Bryan

1 comment:

  1. Way to go Dibleys! God was watching over with great garage sale weather too, compared to the past few weeks.

    ReplyDelete